The Technical University of Košice was founded in 1952, but its roots must be sought much deeper in the past to as early as 1657 the Universitas Cassoviensis was established in Košice. In 1991, the College was renamed to the Technical University of Košice. Today it has nine faculties, Faculty of Heavy Engineering, Faculty of Mining, Faculty of Metallurgy, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Professional Studies, Faculty of Manufacturing Technologies, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Arts and The Faculty of Aeronautics.